Saturday, March 20, 2010

The beginning ...

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt . Saying good-bye to family...







"All you need to do is begin living your life as if it were important.
All you need to do is take your life seriously.
To create it intentionally.
To actively make your life into the life you wish it to be.
Simple? Yes.
Easy? No."
Michael E. Gerber

I was born and raised in Niagara Falls, Ontario one of the seven wonders of the world. My husband grew up in Duncan, British Columbia which is located on Vancouver Island. Even though my husband had been in Ontario for twenty years he was still a west coaster at heart.
The winters in Ontario are cold, snowy and long. I never could decide which was worse heavy snow coming down or the freezing rain that followed. By the time spring rolled around everything turns to slush and mud. Spring is nice for about a week then the switch is turned on and the humidity kicks in...and did I mention the BUGS!

We always knew once my husband retired we would move back to the island. I have learned that you can do all the planning you want but God's timing is not always our timing or the path we may have chosen.

Opportunities come up when you least expect them. Sometimes they come disguised as major life problems. But when they come they are always bearing gifts. I once read that to not take a risk is more of a risk than not taking one at all. That always stuck with me. As crazy as it seemed at the time my husband left his job early to start on a new business which would enable him to move back home. This mean't selling our home that we just built. Leaving good friends and family. Starting from scratch in all avenues of our life. Was I ready for this major life change? You bet I was. I wanted more adventure in my life and everyday before that I had been asking! So now life was giving us this chance and we took it! No looking back.

We sold our beautiful home in less than four months packed up all our belongings and my husband drove the moving truck 3,000 miles to our new temporary home. He flew back ten days later and we packed our truck and hitched the car. Our ten year old son Samuel was more than ready for the journey and to start a new life on Vancouver Island. We brought along our german shepherd dog Pilot, two cats Acoya and Kachina. Off we went across Canada in the middle of winter... it was a fantastic journey.

3 comments:

  1. You, woman, do not look 43. I could not believe it. I thought you were in your late 20's or early 30's. Nice to meet you. Glad you came to the west coast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh by the way....I am 43 too. but feel like I am 60! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still not accepting your "journey". I'm in denial every day! We all miss you!

    ReplyDelete