Monday, June 14, 2010

Hope for the sea and its creatures

Our beautiful oceans have once again been hurt .
All sea creatures living in the sea are affected by this great tragedy.
I never understood the power or the beauty of the sea...
until i moved to Vancouver Island.
Every day that i visit her i am once again captivated by her beauty...
in awe of the calmness she brings over me.
My husband always talked about his growing up by the ocean. How they
swam and waterskiied every summer. August was always spent fishing for salmon
.....
He told me how he missed the smell of the salt air. The coast was always calling him home.
Living here i feel her calling me every morning. Our son loves it so much and enjoys all the creatures that live here.



But ... i feel very sad and heart broken when i look at her. I think to myself they have hurt her
again...


All sea mammals and birds that need her ... this is their home
where they feed and live

sometimes
i
think
even
God
is
Crying...again



And i think what can i do? Just one person
to make such a big wrong
right?



It all starts with just one ...doesn't it?
and then
i think about
this Native American prayer
Grandfather,
Look at our brokeness.
We know that in all creation
Only the human family
Has strayed from the sacred way.
We know that we are the ones
Who are divided
And we are the ones
Who must come back together
To walk in the sacred way
Grandfather,
Sacred One,
Teach us love, compassion, honor
That we may heal the earth
And heal each other.


May she will forgive us ... and all the sea creatures as well
Pamela xo




7 comments:

  1. Dear Pamela, Such a lovely prayer, such a terrible situation. I know that the sea will heal from our mistakes, but it will take a very long time. I have faith that things will get better, and hope for the people of the Gulf. Thanks Pamela for bringing up this topic that has been in the thoughts and prayers of us all. Love, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pamela
    What a nice post, very thoughtful. It is easy not to worry too much about the gulf because it is so far away, and yet it is sitting at our feet. I could only imagine how upset we would be it that happened on our shore?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love your post...yes I am so sad. Wish I could help in someway. I think God is crying... I think the saddest part is that we never learn from our mistakes. One day the world is going to say enough and it will not beable to repair itself....where will we all be then?
    xoox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sea too. The continued spill of oil into the Gulf is truly heartbreaking. When will it end? How much damage will be done before it is contained? I pray that it will end soon and that all of the people who have volunteered help, equipment and solutions will be given a chance to correct the damage.

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pamela,

    I am stopping by after reading your comment on Susan's wonderful site! We have been to Victoria several times(last time was August 2009), and we love it! Such a beautiful place to live.

    Your words described exactly what is in my heart. Everyday, my soul cries a little bit for what has happened to our seas. I live on the Pacific in Southern California and now I often worry, what will be next?

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful post! Sad subject, but beautiful words.
    Thank you for commenting on my blog, "Echoes of Laughter". I just made the connection that you also write a new find of mine, "French Buttons". Love that blog too!
    As you asked, I am fairing well in my new location, but it has been 5 years this June. The first year was hard, but I was determined to set a good example for the kids and focus on the 'good'. I started blogging as a way of keeping in touch with family & friends about our life here. I hope you are fairing well,but I must say I love your new home better than my new home!!! xoxox
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Pamela - I really have a hard time thinking about the destruction that has occurred in the Gulf and you have written about it in a very lovely way. It shows your heart and soul.

    ReplyDelete